GeoNet Field Operations Technician - GNS Science sciencenewzealand.org- 1 week ago
GeoNet Field Operations Technician
GeoNet monitors New Zealand's natural hazards, providing information to media, researchers, emergency management and the public about earthquakes, volcanism, tsunamis and landslides. Underpinning this information are our networks of GPS, seismograph, strong motion accelerometer and tsunami monitoring stations that are constantly collecting data - numbering over 600 in total and located all around New Zealand.
Keeping these stations and their many components running effectively is an important part of collecting quality data; we are therefore seeking a Field Operations Technician to contribute to the installation, maintenance and enhancement of GeoNet's monitoring networks, planning and performing site builds, repairs and upgrades as required.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A tertiary qualification or equivalent experience in digital communications, electronics, instrumentation, or surveying
- Knowledge of TCP/IP networking, radio, wifi and other remote communications/telemetry technologies and hardware
- Experience in the deployment, repairs and maintenance of technical equipment in remote and off-road environments
- Flexibility and the ability to participate in regular fieldwork, often at short notice, including multiple-day trips
- Outdoor experience
- Mechanical, electrical and computing skills
- A proactive and enthusiastic approach
- A commitment to achieving high quality results
- A good level of physical fitness and a full drivers licence
As well as having these skills, candidates will also show innovation, integrity and the ability to work effectively and closely with others in the team. The position offers an attractive mix of field and office based work and would suit someone who enjoys travelling, working outdoors and constructing innovative solutions to technical challenges.
The job is based at our Lower Hutt office but includes a significant field work component. If this sounds like you, please apply now.
Closing date: Sunday, 28 January 2018